Gwinn Area Community Schools Board Meeting
BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
GWINN AREA COMMUNITY SCHOOLS
GWINN, MICHIGAN 49841
MAY 20, 2013
The Board took action on the following:
- Appointed Bill Nordeen to be the Board’s representative and Cynthia Filizetti to be the Board’s alternate at the Marquette-Alger Regional Educational Service Agency’s biennial election to be held on Monday, June 3, 2013.
Congratulations to the following Gwinn Middle School “Students of the Month”: 6th grade: Morgan Hupp & Joseve Bess; 7th grade: Sarah Page & Terry Prisk; 8th grade: Rylee Barto & Ryan Johnson.
Congratulations to Mr. Derek Reetz, Gwinn High School’s “Student of the Month”.
The following people gave Public Comment on a variety of topics, the main topic being the closure of Gilbert Elementary School: AJ Filizetti, Leesa Misterly, Brian Rice, Geri Lynn Eden, Gina Wilson, Joe Boogren, Roberta Jacobson, Dion Kryzmalski, Lynn Osborne, Lisa Coombs-Gerou, Gerald Mottes, Amy Kimsel, Jane Nordeen and Matt Moilanen.
Claims in the amount of $867,102 were approved for payment.
Gilbert Elementary School
- Congratulations to the following Students of the Month: Jacob Deatrick & Bo Zeug (Kdg.); Addyson Sayen & Mikayla Johnson (1st); Starr LeMay & Krista Walline (2nd); Destiny Johnson & Sherrie Beaudry (3rd); Raven Runstrom & MacKenzie Malette (4th); Ethan Pizzi & Marissa Delmont (5th).
- Our April “Classes of the Month” were as follows: Lower Elementary (K-2) – Mr. Gill – 1st grade; Upper Elementary (3-5) – Mrs. Goldsworthy – 5th grade.
- Our February Staff Member of the Month was Mrs. Michelle Zaborowske, Title 1 teacher.
- Our students thoroughly enjoyed Young Authors at NMU during the week of May 6-9, 2013.
- Kindergarten registration will take place on May 23rd from 8:30 am until 12:00 noon. We have 10 students currently scheduled.
- Our students will enjoy a visit from the Michigan Opera Company on May 22nd at 1:30p.m.
KI Sawyer Elementary School
- Congratulations to the following Students of the Month: Brooklyn Poland, Lukas Skutt & Trey Micheau (Kdg.); Emma Bilaski & Makenzie Oliver (1st); Scottie McConnell & Nate Leslie (2nd); Ashton Bothum & Samantha Ogea (3rd); Daylee O’Donnell & Autumn Duer (4th); Denali Edwardsen & Connor Teeple (5th).
- We had a GREAT time at Forest Roberts Theater last week when all of the students went to see “Pinocchio.”
- On May 16th, we hosted an Open House for all elementary families. We had 63 families in attendance representing 83 students, most from Gilbert. Much appreciation to the elementary staff members that were here for the event.
- Kindergarten registration will be held Wednesday, May 22nd.
- The Countdown to Kindergarten lunch and bus ride will be held May 23rd at noon.
- The last weeks of school include the following important dates:
- Wednesday, May 29: 4th/5th Grade Social from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 30: Volunteer Thank You at 8:30 a.m.; K-3 Awards at 9:30 a.m.; 4-5 Awards at 10:15 a.m.; and the Fifth Grade Graduation at 1:30 p.m.
- On behalf of the students, staff members and parents, thanks to the members of the Board of Education of the Gwinn Area Community Schools for your support of education in our district. Thanks for your support of our building, which has helped us to have a great year!
Gwinn Middle School
- Great America was a success, with approximately 70 students in attendance.
- Our 6th grade students enjoyed a recent visit with the Tanzanian choir. They have been studying this country in Science due to Mrs. Gollakner’s educational trip this summer.
Gwinn High School
- Gwinn High School was honored as one of the US News & World Report’s “Best High Schools of 2013”. We received a bronze ranking for finishing in the top 25% of all public high schools in the US.
- Congratulations to the following GHS creative writing students who were selected as finalists in the Albion College Charles Crupi Memorial Poetry Contest: Abigail Cairns, Payton Luokkala, Macie Mitchell, Melissa Neal, Alex Pastor and Laura Thompson. These students were selected from over 850 entries.
- Congratulations to the following students who competed in the Wisconsin School Music Association State Festival on May 3-4, 2013: DIVISION ONE: Gwinn High School Chorale Women’s Ensemble; Naria Ford-Thompson, Musical Theater Solo (perfect score); Kaileena Haralson, Musical Theater Solo; Erica Sanford, Musical Theater Solo (perfect score) & Soprano Solo; Laura Thompson, Musical Theater Solo & Soprano Solo; Ellie Woodruff, Musical Theater Solo & Soprano Solo. DIVISION TWO: Gwinn High School Chorale Vocal Jazz; Lauren Kowalski, Alto Solo; Daabii Reinhardt, Soprano Solo. DIVISION THREE: Gwinn High School Jazz Band.
- Results from the May 6th home track meet are as follows: GHS Girls Team took 1st place overall and the GHS Boys team took 2nd place overall. The girls placed first in the following events: 400M Relay, 400M Dash, 200M Dash, 1600M Relay, High Jump and Long Jump. The boys team placed 1st in the following events: 400M Dash, 800M Run, 200M Dash, 1600M Relay, and Shot Put.
- Congratulations to the GHS CADD 2 class on their awards in Michigan Industrial and Technical Education Society (MITES) drawing competition. 15 drawings were entered at the Regional Competition in Escanaba, and 13 drawings moved onto State Competition. Overall, our students had 10 Honorable Mentions in various categories, with Nick Bjork placing 4th in the state, Logan Stein placing 3rd in the state, and Luke Redlon placed 2nd in the state in their respective categories. Congratulations to all!!
Superintendent Tufnell updated the Board on various topics including: the official word that our last day of school will be Thursday, May 30th for students with the teacher work day on Friday, May 31st due to HB 4471, and Sabina Austin’s recent notification that she is the recipient of a $5,000 Lowe’s for Education grant which she will be using for her 8th grade computers class next year. Ms. Tufnell also reviewed minutes from recent meetings of the Finance committee and read correspondence from Joe Lubig.
The Board took action on the following:
- Set the Annual Budget Hearing for Monday, June 24, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. in the Gwinn High School Library. The Board also rescheduled the regular June Board meeting to be held after the Budget hearing that same evening.
- Passed a resolution eliminating or reducing the following positions due to economic necessity: ELIMINATED: 1.0 FTE administrator; 4.0 FTE elementary teachers; 1.0-2.0 FTE teachers at GHS; 0.5 FTE counselor; 2.0 FTE paraprofessionals; athletic custodian; REDUCED: 0.5 FTE secretary.
- Passed a resolution directing Bill Nordeen to vote for the following candidates at the MARESA biennial election which will be held on June 3, 2013: Virginia Paulson, Tony Retaskie, Julie A. Shaw.
- Accepted, with regret, resignations/retirement of the following personnel:
- Jim Rankin – assistant varsity football coach, Gwinn High School, effective date of resignation – April 19, 2013
- Elizabeth Gauthier – breakfast/lunch server, Gilbert Elementary School, effective date of retirement – May 31, 2013
- Joanna Wenstrand – LRE paraprofessional, Gwinn High School, effective date of retirement – June 5, 2013
- Approved the employment of the following personnel:
- Barbara Ward-Thomas – Food Service Director, Gwinn Area Community Schools, effective date of hire – May 13, 2013
- Accepted, with great appreciation, the following gifts and donations:
- SIR Credit Union – 8 used desktop computers (valued at approximately $540) donated for use throughout the District
- Jodi Zanetti – $1000 donated to establish the “Doug Zanetti Scholarship” in memory of Doug Zanetti at Gwinn High School
- Just Believe – $500 donation to establish the “Just Believe Scholarship” in memory of Jodi Hill Ball at Gwinn High School
- VFW Post #5670 – American flags donated to Gwinn High School and Gilbert Elementary School
- Larry’s Family Foods – donation of soda for Excellence in Education luncheon
- Aramark – donation of table cloths for Excellence in Education luncheon
- Jilbert’s Dairy – donation of ice cream for Excellence in Education luncheon
- Gwinn Floral – donation of flowers for Excellence in Education luncheon
The following people gave Public Comment on a variety of topics, the main topic being the closure of Gilbert Elementary School: Lynn Osborne, Leesa Misterly, AJ Filizetti, Jane Nordeen, Dion Kryzmalski, Peggy Noah, KC Misterly, and Ray Johnson.