Canda Manor Fire Update – OCCUPANT OF APARTMENT WHERE FIRE OCCURRED ARRESTED OVER INCIDENT

The Ishpeming Police have arrested 48 yr old Glenn Scott Patron of 701 W. Empire Street, apartment 302 A for allowing minors to consume alcohol in his apartment, after a fire broke out at his apartment.

IPD and the Ishpeming Fire Department were dispatched to this apartment on 8-14-12 at approximately 1:00 a.m. for a report of a structure fire.   Patron and 2 other residents of the apartment building were transported to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation.

An investigation by the Ishpeming Police revealed that Patron was drinking with 2 other people in his apartment who were under 21 yrs of age at the time the fire broke out.

Patron was charged with 1 count Drugs/ Alcohol Consumption by Minors- Allowing on Premises, by the Marquette County Prosecutor’s Office on 8-14-12.  He was arraigned in the 96th District Court by Judge Girard.  Bond was set at 10% of $1000.  Patron remains lodged at the Marquette County Jail at this time.

A pre-trial conference is scheduled for 8-28-12 in the Ishpeming District Court.

Allowing Minors to Consume Alcohol on your Premises is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days and or a $1000 fine.

Chief Willey

 

RE, Update: 08/15/2012 

The fire is believed to have been caused by combustible materials on the apartments stove top, and ruled accidental.

The Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department was called to 701 W. Empire Street, The Canda Manor Apartments at 0102 am, for a structure fire. Upon arrival, Firefighter’s found a third floor apartment with heavy smoke and flames coming from it. Firefighters gained entrance into the apartment and found one unresponsive male lying inside. Firefighters carried the male resident to safety, he was transported to Bell memorial Hospital in Ishpeming. The fire was contained quickly and was confined the kitchen area of the apartment with smoke and minor water damage to the apartment also there was some smoke damage to the entire apartment building. Two residents living in a neighboring apartment were also sent to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation. Three other families were displaced by the fire, two families are being housed at a local motel with Pigs& Heat funds while the third family is staying with relatives. The American Red Cross is also giving assistance.

The Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department responded with 20 Firefighters, 3 trucks and were in scene for 1 1/2 hours.
Like WRUP on Facebook.com/wrupfm for a Chance to Win a Free Lunch

Comments

comments